This year parents, assistant teachers, reading volunteers, teachers and even other young readers have asked me how to effectively read alongside children.
As a result, I’ve created this guide to reading with children. It’s available to download below.
It is split up into a few sections and includes the following:
- Sharing and making explicit what it is good young readers do.
- Explaining what you should do when reading alongside children.
- Explaining your role as a ‘reader-thinker’.
- Outlining what are the best things you can do when helping a child to read.
- Naming the worst things you can do when helping a child to read.
- A short explanation about how readers go about decoding text.
- What to do before you start reading.
- What to do whilst you are reading.
- What to do after you’ve read.
- What sorts of things you can focus on when writing in reading records books.
I hope you find it useful!