We are delighted to announce our new Twitter page: @WritingRocks_17
From the outset, we would like to propose that WritingRocks’ purpose is not to advocate for nor prescribe a certain theoretical or ideological stance on the best way to teach English. We wish to welcome all practitioners who are looking at the potential for a ‘Writing For Pleasure’ pedagogy. Therefore, please share practical ways by which teachers and schools can improve children’s motivation and outcomes in literacy. Let us together try and harness theoretical ideas and research which may shed some light on the practical challenges faced by schools, teachers and children more widely and tentatively provide potential reflections and possible solutions to these ideas and most importantly – make writing rock!
Each month we will get together on twitter and either:
- Select questions for writers, teachers and/or TAs to discuss together. Hopefully, we will share ideas and solutions, but maybe raise a few questions, too!
- Alternatively, we will invite children’s authors to discuss their writing process or see what we can learn from other professional writers across many fields.
- We are also looking for quest curators to lead some sessions – if you’re an expert on something and this would interest you either email us at email@example.com or tweet us at @WritingRocks_17 or @lit4pleasure
If you have a question related to writing with children aged 3 – 11 years old, be it about the teaching of writing or encouraging writing for pleasure or how you can be more of a ‘writing teacher’ you can ask it via our form at the bottom of this page.
You can view the #WritingRocks_17 schedule here:
This is where you’ll find the provisional schedule for #WritingRocks_17 twitter chats.
- They will run for around an hour, starting at 8pm.
- We will start by discussing four or five questions on the topic for that month using the hashtag #WritingRocks_17
- Submitted questions from you out in twitter land will also be tweeted out.
- You can submit a question for discussion here.
- If you’d like to be a quest author or curator, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Event No.||Date & Time:||Main Topic|
|1||Thursday 20th April (8pm)||What Is Writing & Why Do We Write?|
|2||Thursday 18th May (8pm)||The Primary Assessment Consultation|
|3||Thursday 25th May (8pm)|
|4||Thursday 14th September (8pm)||
|5||Thursday 28th September (8pm)||*Writer-Teacher* CPD Session: Moments From My Writing Life|
Finally, we are considering running an online CPD day where we can use GoogleDocs and Twitter together to create a rich writing experience for people in the comfort of their own home! So look out for that!
Thank you for your contributions.
Remember if you’d like to get in touch, have things retweeted or ask questions related to writing you can use our @WritingRocks_17 handle.